Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day Ninety-Six: Microwavable Shrimp


I know that anything microwavable isn't going to be as good as the real, fresh version, but I can't afford to go to restaurants every day and though I love cooking, I am often too busy. So that's my excuse, up front, for eating microwavable shrimp fried rice.

As you know, my battle with shrimp has been continuous. I like it sometimes; sometimes it makes me gag. I don't know why I thought microwaved shrimp would fall into the former category. Basically, it was tough. And the fried rice (another dish I tend not to order--not hated, but not liked either) was almost mushy. Tasty, though. All that salt. It disguised the shrimp flavor pretty well, but the texture was disgusting. Better luck next time, I guess.

After that, I finished off the frozen popcorn shrimp that's been hanging out in my freezer. These were cooked in the oven, and the shrimp was yummy and tender. Which seems weird since it's still been cooked twice: fried at the factory and baked at home. Huh. Who knows. Maybe the breading is like a barrier, a magical shield. Or maybe if I had microwaved them, they would have been chewy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment