Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 109: Beer Beer Beer!

It wasn't long ago that I didn't like beer at all. But my husband (then boyfriend) and his friends all liked beer. And I wanted to fit in. So I attempted to learn to like it. Mostly, I took a shine to wheat beers. My general rule is: if it comes with fruit in it (or is vaguely fruit-flavored), I'll drink it. Other beers are generally okay, but they are not my favorite. But the India Pale Ale (otherwise known as the IPA) is another story. It's just so dang bitter, I can't palate it.

Tonight I bought some Deschutes' Inversion IPA (when I brought it home, my husband said, You went for the big stuff, huh? or something like that). It's super hoppy, which makes it perfect for this experiment. It's super bitter. I mean, it makes the sides of my tongue ache.

The funny thing is, this beer is a little bit fruity. Not a lot--but it's there. And then the hoppiness overwhelms. And the aftertaste! That's a lot of...flavor. But I found, as I drank it, that I could do it. I could handle it. It was an exercise of my bitter buds, but my face didn't crumple or anything like that. So now I think that, regardless of what kind of beer my friends serve at their parties, BBQs, etc, I can take it. Woot!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried dogfish beer? Its all A m a z i n g!

    Aron
    www.babymine.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it around, but I haven't tried it. I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete