Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 103: Spumoni

When I was a kid, there was one kind of ice cream my mother could buy of which I wouldn't sneak spoonfuls. In fact, I would turn down dessert when this particular confection was the only option. I remember it being sort of sour and medicinal in flavor, and I wouldn't go near the stuff. That ice cream was spumoni.

Tonight, I bit the bullet and went for it. I could still recall the taste that so revolted me as a child. But as I dug into my tri-colored dessert, I didn't taste it. I knew I would like the chocolate, almond,and pistachio elements of the ice cream, and even the cherry seemed quite palatable. I ate quite happily for a few minutes, until I bit into a chunk of cherry. There was that flavor, just as I remembered it. However, as an adult, it didn't make me shudder. It was fine. Not the greatest, but fine. In fact, when the hubby offered me another scoop, I happily accepted it. It makes me wonder what a real, authentic spumoni would taste like (I believe our batch was Dreyers). Next time I'm in Italy (whenever that is) I will make sure to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment