Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 105: Thanks, Mr. Newman

You probably know that Paul Newman's name and face grace the labels of about a thousand bottles of salad dressing. What I didn't realize until yesterday was that his face is also on salsa now. It makes sense. It's all sauce. But if there is one product I never would have imagined him endorsing (conjure him up from Cool Hand Luke, for example--all tough and gruff and sweaty, eating a thousand hard boiled eggs or something like that), it's peach salsa.

Yeah, peach salsa. I love salsa, don't get me wrong, but I've never quite gotten on the bandwagon of the fruity salsa. I was going to buy mango, but they didn't have any. But you know your choice of strange food really is strange when the woman at the check-out counter makes a fuss over it. "Peach salsa?" she said. "Really?" Her eyebrows raised, her lips curled. She looked at it like it wasn't even food. She was so distracted by the strangeness of my purchase that she rang me up wrong, so I had to pay twice. First, $.93, and then the remainder of the $9.33 I actually owed.

When I got it home (all the way home--I've been so stressed and emotionally crazed lately that I picked up and went back to Pullman from Spokane, and will not be going back until Saturday when my mommy comes!!! but also to do some workshop that I am less than thrilled about) and took my first bite, I thought it was so incredibly weird. It tasted peachy. It tasted like salsa. But I got used to it pretty quickly, and I think I like it better than mango salsa. Of course, it's been a long time since I had mango salsa. I'll have to try it again. I only eat it at parties where there's no other food.

No comments:

Post a Comment