Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day Ninety-Seven: Hamming It Up


Tonight, I brought my thing-I-don't-like to class (Form and Theory: The Novel). It was ham salad. Which raised a few eyebrows and elicited a few snarky remarks. And really, I almost chickened out on my ham salad, or at least deferred it to a time when I would be alone and could gag in peace, but the box had been seen and I had to go through with it. Hurray for accountability.

What is ham salad? you might ask. Well, it's just like chicken salad or tuna salad, but with ham. Little tiny chunks of ham. Tinier than the chunks pictured on the box. Pulverized ham. Mushy, gushy ham. But you know what? It was okay. Mainly, it was salty. Sort of tangy. My main complaint? The little snack pack it came in needed one more cracker. I guess they expect you to really pile up your ham salad.

As silly and strange as it might be (and as wasteful, packaging-wise, with a box, a bag, a can, and a teeny tiny plastic spoon), in a way, these snack packs are ingenious. Just enough salt and protein to keep you going through a seminar, if you don't have a caffeine crash, which I sort of did. I should start assembling my own little snack packs to bring to class, in reusable containers of course. But maybe not ham salad. It was a novelty, and I did it, but it won't be repeated too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment