Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 111: Pineapple Spread

This morning, I tackled something that I hadn't actually eaten before, but when I saw it in the grocery store, I thought, gross. You see, my mother was in town (sadly, she's probably just about back home now and I miss her already--Hi Mom! Hug Dad for me!) and we wandered the grocery store together, searching for things I might not like. In the cracker aisle, we found a little jar of something called pineapple spread, made by Kraft using Philadelphia Cream Cheese. This sounded revolting, so I threw it in the cart. We bought some plain bagels to go with it.

Now, I don't have a problem with pineapple in all forms. I used to despise it, but now I actually enjoy it on a pizza with Canadian bacon, or on a teriyaki burger, or in a sauce. I'm not as keen on raw pineapple. I certainly couldn't conceive of the mixture of pineapple and cream cheese. I imagined the pineapple would be toothsome and stringy, or oozing its enzymes into the cream cheese. (Pineapple contains enzymes that break down protein, which is why you can't put it in Jell-O molds, and why I presumed it would turn the cream cheese to goo.)

But the chunks in the pineapple spread were tiny and soft, and the spread was surprisingly fluffy. It didn't really taste like pineapple; it was sort of generically sweet. It was a nice, easy experience compared to the liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment