Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 112: Stepping Stones

Have you ever noticed that a lot of tropical fruits have a sort of musky, armpit flavor to them? They're sweet, yes, but then there's that... stink. Except for the fact that fruit want to be eaten so their seeds will be spread, I would think that was some sort of natural defense mechanism. (Don't eat me! I stink!) But I guess it's just a flavor that I'm not accustomed to.

As you've probably noticed by now, I'm not a big fruit person. Vegetables, yes. There have been few veggies on this list and I'm now in love with all of them. Fruit is problematic, I think, because of my affinity for candy. I learned at a young age to love the refined sugar instead of the natural. Lately, I've been snacking on dried cherries and I think dried fruit can be a liason between candy and fruit, since it's basically both. But it's a work in progress, you know?

So tonight, I cracked open a can of Kern's guava nectar. Musky. Mostly sweet (I think this has to do with how little flesh is in the can--just a few granules you can feel between your teeth), but musky all the same. Isn't that an appetizing word? Musky. Maybe I can find a descriptor with a more positive connotation. Can't think of one right now. If you have one, please, share it.

Anywho, the nectar was palatable. Of course. Not my favorite still. But because it was less musky than the papaya I ate not long ago, it feels like a good set of training wheels. I think I should work guava nectar into my rotation for a while, then work my way up to the muskier tropical fruits. Stepping stones, if you will.

1 comment:

  1. Some cantaloupes are called Musk Melons - but they still have the sweet 'normal' cantaloupe flavor. Try drinking a Mai Tai. I'm sure there are several recipes with rum, guava, pineapple, and maybe mango. A good Mai Tai is yummy...and easy to drink too many!

    ReplyDelete