Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day Sixty-Nine: From Your Grocer's Freezer

If there was ever a kitchen appliance I thought I'd miss having, it was definitely not the microwave. And then, tonight, I grabbed a box of Healthy Choice Lobster Cheese Ravioli from the freezer section while waiting for a friend to pick up a prescription, and didn't read the instructions first. Microwave instructions. Duh. I don't have a microwave in Spokane.

Thankfully, I do have some common sense and a regular oven. So I turned on the gas, chipped the block of frozen food from its plastic container, and dropped it in a baking dish. After a while, the food cooked (like magic!) or at least melted and got warm.

I know what you're thinking. Really, Laura? Frozen lobster ravioli? Why would you even try it when there's so much good fresh food out there? Well, I'm going to level with you. I'm busy. Busier lately than I've ever been in my life. I'm talking work from the time I get out of the shower in the morning until I nod off to sleep at night. Throw in a few potty breaks and some drive time, and maybe a little time to eat (I like to try to put work aside during mealtimes, but that doesn't always happen). Then, today, add taking a friend to the emergency room, realizing we should probably go to urgent care instead, driving across town, waiting for the doctor, driving to the store, and waiting for a prescription. It was time I had already accounted for (which is not to say I begrudge it--I am quite pleased that my friend is now medicated and sleeping soundly in the next room). So instead of a well-planned dinner and a trip to the fish counter at Rosauer's, I had lobster and cheese ravioli. It was that, or ditch my thesis reading.

I've got to do my thesis reading.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible dish. I mean, it was frozen food. I don't think there's actually any lobster in there, though. Imitation lobster. Something a little chewy and fishy. But hey, I got my fish flavor in for the day. It's all about acclimation, right? And the meal was healthy. Though I finished it off with about a cup of rum raisin ice cream (the remains of the pint I bought however many weeks ago... also in the name of acclimation/sweet toothery).

So now, I must get back to my thesis reading. But hey, if you'd asked me six months ago if I would ever have a dinner of lobster ravioli and rum raisin ice cream, I would have said Heck no. I might even have used a real expletive.

No comments:

Post a Comment