Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 146: The Incredible Inedible Egg

This morning I attempted some fancy scrambled eggs. I'm not one to mix stuff in with my eggs or do much fancy footwork. I might add a little cheese. But recently, I made some sundried tomato pesto, so I thought they might go well together. I was incredibly wrong.

While it was cooking, this mix smelled like dog food--owing, maybe, to the pine nuts? But still I gave it a chance. It was an ominous red color, not very pretty at all (I would have taken a picture but the hubby and I are embarking on a trip tomorrow and he seems to have packed both cameras away who-knows-where).

It didn't taste like dog food. I don't know what it tasted like. Like stale sundried tomatoes if there is such a thing. I'm sure there's some culinary explanation for this. Maybe just that my pesto wasn't up to snuff.

Oh well. Another day, another lesson learned.

Addendum:

I've been very adventurous today--for lunch (early lunch, I know, but I only had a mouthful of eggs and coffee for breakfast) I made a new type of smoothie. You see, I'm in the process of moving out of my Spokane apartment, since grad school is ending, and I figured I ought to use the food I had in my fridge and freezer. The milk had gone bad, but I had frozen strawberries and orange juice (you can tell my husband was here this weekend because I never buy orange juice except for him). But that seemed a little lacking. I also had some pecans in my freezer (I keep them there so the oils won't spoil--greatly extends their shelf life), so I threw a handful of those into the blender, too. And guess what? It's great. And vegan. So: here's the recipe.

~1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
~1 cup orange juice
~1/3 cup pecans

Blend well

No comments:

Post a Comment