Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 136: A Trip to Shropshire

Yesterday, we visited the cheese shop in Moscow, ID, and Ian picked out a type of cheese we've never had before: Shropshire. Today, we dug into it. It's like Stilton, but creamier. And, obviously, it's yellow.

The more varieties of cheese I try, the more similarities I see between them. When describing any cheese, it seems you can relate it to several other varieties (I could also say it's like Dutch blue or Gorgonzola). It's almost disappointing, actually, but I guess it's to be expected considering they all come from the same, or very similar, base ingredients.

Shropshire blue cheese is a pretty new cheese variety, first made in the 1970s. It's made from cow's milk. It has no actual connection to Shropshire. It was first made in Inverness, but I guess Inverness doesn't sound as good as Shropshire.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like the yummiest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I didn't mention that in the post... it's really yummy.

    ReplyDelete