Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 130: Rutabaga

"Rutabaga" is a fun word to say. Like "rhubarb," which is another vegetable I don't think I've ever had. But it's not just fun to say; it's fun to eat, too. Or, at least, it's pretty good to eat. Me, I boiled it and mashed it with hot milk and butter, like I would with a potato. Of course, I accidentally allowed that hot milk to boil, which clouded the flavor of the final product (you know when you order your latte extra hot and the milk has that particular flavor--not burned, but definitely cooked in some way) but the rutabaga flavor definitely came through. It's definitely a root vegetable. You know--hearty, earthy. Somewhere between a potato and a parsnip and... celery root? There are probably hints of turnip in there, too, but I don't think I've had a turnip before, either. At least not that I can recall. So I'll have to have a turnip, too. Which will be fun. Turnips make me think of bunny rabbits. I have no idea why.

No comments:

Post a Comment