Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 158: Broccoli Slaw


I'm always a fan of finding ways to waste less food, so when I saw Anne Burrell make coleslaw out of broccoli stems, I was intrigued. So intrigued, that I made the whole recipe: pulled pork with broccoli and carrot slaw.

It was a long day of cooking. I mean, not a huge amount of work--except the slaw, which required a lot of julienning--but a lot of cooking. Nine hours in a low oven for the pork. Lots of meat smell all day long. And in the end, a delicious sandwich with pulled pork, vinegar based sauce, and broccoli slaw on a sesame seed bun. Honestly, the broccoli slaw was way more amazing than I could have expected. Not woody or hard to chew like one might expect with broccoli stems. And I still have the florets leftover, so tomorrow I'll make a broccoli-based stir fry.

Yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment