Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 156: Stinky Stinky Stinky

For years, I thought I would like limburger cheese. I know it's infamously stinky: the stinkiest of the stinky cheeses. But I like a strong cheese. I've tasted quite a few cheeses that smell like sweaty feet but taste like heaven. But I've got news for you: limburger tastes as bad as it smells.

It was packaged really well, I guess. Wrapped in foil and tightly sealed. Its smell didn't leak in the slightest. But as soon as I opened it, the smell exploded. The cat started sniffing around curiously. It was a little repulsive, but I had faith that the flavor would transcend. I was so incredibly wrong.

It's like the worst morning breath you've ever had, like if you didn't brush your teeth for weeks, drank copious amounts of alcohol, and slept all night with your mouth open. Or worse: it's like kissing someone who's done these things. I mean, it is a repulsive foodstuff. It didn't make me gag, which I suppose is something. But it is definitely not something I can imagine adding to a cheese plate unless I want my dinner guests to go home. (If you ever come to a party and I'm serving limburger, take the hint.)

However: I did not throw it all away. I was tempted to, but I wrapped my remaining cheese and bagged it in plastic, and I am going to take another crack at it, trying to incorporate it somehow into a more savory food. Will I do it? Will I just end up wasting food? I suppose only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment