Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day Fifty-Four: Tuna Helper

If there was one product I thought I'd never purchase at the grocery store, it was probably Tuna Helper. I'm familiar with a few varieties of Hamburger Helper, and although it's edible, it's also incredibly salty and pretty simplistic in flavor. Add fish, and you've got something I'm just not interested in.

So, naturally, I had to have some. I wandered the grocery store looking for things I would normally never eat, and this was one of the first things in my basket.

What I got from my tuna helper experience is this: I could do better. It was fine. It didn't repulse me. But it got me formulating a more flavorful, homemade version of the creamy broccoli tuna thing. It will take more than fifteen minutes, of course. It's the speedy nature of the Helper products that make them most appealing, I think. But my creamy tuna noodle dish--a white sauce with some parmesan, steamed broccoli, whole wheat pasta, tuna, maybe some herbs--is going to be so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment