Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 181: Peanut Chews

Yet another candy-tasting inspired by Steve Almond's Candyfreak: Peanut Chews.

Note that the front says "Chocalatey" not "Chocolate." There's a reason for that.

The interesting thing is, in Almond's book, the friend who accompanies him to the Goldenberg factory (before they were bought out by Just Born--you know, the guys who make Mike & Ike and Peeps) was given a whole mess of peanut chews, but told Steve she didn't like them. The next time they spoke, all her peanut chews were gone and she wanted more. Let's just say I can relate.

At first, I was completely disappointed in my peanut chews. They didn't have much punch. But after the first little piece (there are 8 in the package) I figured I would give the second one a chance. And then, I actually kind of wanted the third one. The fourth was divine. The fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth I had to save for my husband (I promised to share and I just don't need 460 calories from one snack).

The moral of the story: these things are dangerous. They have a sort of nostalgic wrapper and it's always fun to come across new things, but I don't know if I will have them again, if only because I don't want to become a peanut chew addict.

PS: Check out this cool candy blog I found and their opinion of peanut chews!

No comments:

Post a Comment