Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day Twenty-Seven: We Got the Beets

Tonight, I was surprised by two foods I didn't think I liked: beets and kale. In fact, I was surprised by the entire meal. My lovely friend Kate was gracious enough to cook me (and several others) a dinner of roast vegetables, kale cooked in mirin, sticky brown rice, and beans. Also, some fantastic pickled radishes. The whole meal was technically macrobiotic--something I never associate with culinary delights--and yet it was delicious (adorable, ambrosial, appetizing, choice, dainty, darling, delectable, delightful, delish, distinctive, divine, enjoyable, enticing, exquisite, fit for king, good, gratifying, heavenly, luscious, lush, mellow, mouthwatering, nectarous, nice, palatable, piquant, pleasant, rare, rich, sapid, savory, scrumptious, spicy, sweet, tasteful, tasty, tempting, titillating, toothsome, well-prepared, well-seasoned, yummy--see thesaurus.com). Who knew healthy food could taste so good?

In previous taste tests of beets, I have judged them to taste like dirt. My husband concurs. And yet, when roasted in the oven, mixed with agave nectar, pecans, onions, and sweet potatoes, they are one of the best vegetables I've ever tasted. Nix the other veggies, even. The beets are good enough for me. And I'm an onion and pecan and sweet potato nut. The kale blew my mind, too. I'm going to have to try to reproduce this stuff. Who knew healthy food could taste so good? (I know I said that already, but it's really blowing my mind.)

So I have to thank Kate again, publicly, for changing my culinary mind. For blowing it to pieces. For being the best cook and hostess I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment