Friday, January 21, 2011

Day Twenty-One: Irish Cream, Two Ways


Once upon a time, when I was an undergraduate, I was at a party. I'd been drinking. And at some point, a male friend of mine came over to me and kissed me on the mouth. Now, I'd really been drinking. I was a little off-kilter. And when my male friend kissed me, with Irish Cream on his breath, that was the last nudge that churned my stomach and sent me running for the bathroom.

So now, I have a little problem with Irish Cream. I've heard that most people have one alcohol or another that they don't drink anymore, for similar reasons. Usually it seems to be vodka or tequila. But for me, it's not just a type of alcohol, but a flavoring that pops up quite often in coffee drinks, desserts, and the like. So I figure I ought to get used to it. Take it off the list of things-Laura-doesn't-like.

Today, I tried Irish Cream two ways. I had an Irish Cream latte this morning. Unfortunately, it really had no flavor. Maybe it's because there wasn't enough syrup in the drink, maybe the barista knew my general habits of coffee ordering and gave me sugar free, but I did not detect Irish Cream flavor. So tonight, I tried again. I know, I said I wasn't going to have alcohol this January, but I decided to have real-live Irish Cream liqueur. I figured that would be the only way to really get used to the flavor that has so long churned my stomach. So I ordered it, straight up (confounding the bartender) and sipped about a shot of it.

The conclusion: I think I'm past it. I don't think I'm going to be ordering it regularly on nights out, but I think I'm past the point where it nauseates me. It's sweet. The alcoholic edge to it is a little strange, still, but that's okay. That's true of most, if not all, sweet and creamy alcohols. But I can deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment